Monday, November 23, 2009

Dating in the Dark

Earlier this year I watched a few episodes of ABC's new reality show "Dating in the Dark" that came on after "The Bachelorette." The idea behind the show was to see if singles could make a connection in the pitch black dark without seeing each other and then once their looks were revealed if that connection would last. I loved the idea behind the show...really trying to get to know someone on a deeper level without being distracted by their looks or if they fit your type.

Flash forward a few months and I heard about an Atlanta version of the show. It was put on by the radio station Star94 and took place at the Dialog in the Dark exhibit at Atlantic Station. I was so excited when I was selected as a participant and told that I could bring a friend along with me. Of course I immediately thought of my co-worker Stephanie who just started a new blog: http://project29to30.blogspot.com/. Her goal is to do something she has never done before every day before her 30th birthday. Surely dating in the dark was something new!

To get an idea of how it worked watch this story that CNN did on the event:

Basically it was speed dating in the dark. It was really hard to remember who was who. You speak with each guy for 3 minutes and then it's on to the next. Several Mikes and Matts started blurring together in mind and in the end I didn't match with anyone. Stephanie did but I don't think it was a love connection. After the event we all went over to a nearby restaurant/bar where we could chat in the light. Overall, the experience was cool and I'd definitely do it again. We had a blast meeting new people in such an unusual way and stretching ourselves to go beyond just looks.

Be sure to check out Stephanie's blog for her version of the night coming soon...she's an excellent writer with a great sense of humor so I know her post will be hilarious.

No comments: