Monday, February 16, 2009

Balanced

I'm halfway through a course about $$ that Buckhead Church is putting on. So far I've learned a lot and gained confidence that I'm on the right track. The course has offered practical applications and organization to get "Balanced" and understand what the Bible says about money.

At the start of the course I asked that God change my heart and help decrease my constant want for more or newer clothes, furnishings, electronics, etc... Perhaps the greatest lesson came three weeks ago when my grandmother lost her entire home in a house fire. The house was full of her possessions and memories for over 40 years. As I helped her make an inventory of the items she had, the last thing on her mind was that "cute new spring dress" or those "fun pink shoes." The Lord really shook me up that those things are just that...things.

This verse has resonated in my heart ever since:
"...a man's life does not consist in the abundance of his possessions." - Luke 12:15

I hope that as I finish the course I am able to apply the lessons I've learned and remember that "Wealth and honor come from You. You are the ruler of all things." - 1 Chronicles 29:12

Check out http://www.balancedonline.org/ for more information.

No comments: