Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Great devotional

Misty, a girl in my new small group, recently sent me this short devotional. I really enjoyed it and thought I'd pass it along.

“I have called you friends.” John 15:15 NKJV
Become God's friend
Another step in developing your friendship with God is: Choosing to be honest with Him! God doesn’t expect you to be perfect, but He does expect you to be honest. If perfection was a requirement not one of us would qualify. In the Bible God’s friends were honest about their feelings, sometimes even complaining and arguing with Him, yet He didn’t seem to mind. In fact, He encouraged it. God listened patiently to David’s accusations of unfairness, betrayal and abandonment. He didn’t zap Jeremiah for claiming God had tricked him. Job was allowed to vent his bitterness and God actually defended him for being honest. On the other hand, He rebuked Job’s friends for faking it: “You haven’t been honest either with me or about me - not the way my friend Job has…My friend Job will pray for you, and I will accept his prayer” (Job 42:7 TM). To be God’s friend you must share your true feelings with Him, not what you think you ought to feel or say. Until you understand that God uses everything for good in our lives, you’ll harbor resentment towards Him over your looks, your nationality, your economic background, your unanswered prayers, your past hurts, and the things you’d change if you were God. Actually, revealing your feelings and releasing your resentments to Him are the first steps to becoming spiritually whole. Isn’t it encouraging to know that God’s closest friends felt just like we do, but instead of masking their feelings in pious clichés they voiced them openly. Why? Because expressing them leads to healing and a deeper level of intimacy with Him.

No comments: